Hammerschlag LLC is a boutique consulting firm specializing in climate and energy policy analysis. Services include life-cycle analysis of fuels and fuel supply chains, econometric analyses of energy choices, interpretation of climate science for policymakers, development and execution of greenhouse gas inventories, and design of greenhouse gas reduction programs. Clients have included state and local governments, institutions of higher learning, national and international NGOs, utilities, and fuel suppliers.
GHG management starter package
If your organization is not yet a Hammerschlag LLC client, you can “get your feet wet” with GHG management, or improve on prior efforts at GHG management, with our GHG Management Starter Package, priced at $14,000 and including:
- A single year GHG inventory of your entire organization, compliant with the WRI/WBCSD GHG Protocol and ISO 14064-1. The inventory is delivered on a simple, transparent Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that your staff can use for future inventories. The spreadsheet is compliant with version 7.2 standards issued by the Spreadsheet Standards Review Board.
- One site visit (anywhere in the United States) by Hammerschlag LLC principal Roel Hammerschlag, at completion of the first revision of the GHG inventory. The site visit is for (a) making fine adjustments to the compiled GHG inventory; (b) training your staff for future, in-house inventory updates; and (c) facilitating decision-making regarding corporate GHG targets and reporting.
- A memo describing recommended GHG reduction targets following methodologies of the Science Based Targets Initiative.
- Preparation of the inventory data for submission to The Climate Registry, carbonn Climate Registry, or Carbon Disclosure Project.
To keep the price point low the Starter Package comes with some fine print, which you can find on our rates & terms page. Of course, you will be welcome to hire me for additional time to add inventory detail, design reduction projects, purchase GHG offsets, or engage in additional staff training. Interested? Give Roel Hammerschlag a call or email at the contact information below.
Navigating Washington’s new climate legislation
The Washington State Climate Commitment Act (CCA) and Clean Fuel Standard (CFS) both start up in 2023. Are you prepared? Hammerschlag, LLC and Evergreen Carbon are teaming up to help our fellow Washingtonians effectively participate in this marquee legislation.
WA State’s goal under the CCA is to achieve a 95% reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2050, that’s almost a 100 million metric ton reduction! The CCA will cover 75% of these emissions. If you’re a facility that will be affected by this legislation – there’s about a hundred of you – Roel and Wolf are stepping up to help out. The CCA is new to all of us, only the second such program in the United States, after California. Teaming to provide over 50 years of combined experience in Carbon Markets, Clean Fuel Standards, and GHG measurement, reporting, and verification, Roel and Wolf provide a unique resource to companies who are subject to or wish to work under this new legislation.
Our new Clean Fuel Standard aims to cut GHG emissions 4.3 million metric tons by 2038. That’s a lot less than the overarching goal of the CCA, but the CFS will be an equally complex and challenging rule to navigate. Overall, transportation accounts for nearly 45% of Washington’s GHG emissions and has been the toughest nut to crack. The CFS will finally begin to do just that! This legislation will indirectly touch a far larger number of entities than the hundred or so large emitters regulated under the CCA. The CFS takes many of its pages from similar legislation already active in California and Oregon, and Roel and Wolf can apply years of experience working under those regulations to Washington State.
Helping You with CCA
- Allowance purchases, trading, and management advisement
- Allowance price forecasting
- Secondary allowance market
- Auction planning and representation
- Corporate Emission Reduction planning for compliance
- Compliance period planning
- Sustainability scenario planning to lower exposure to carbon (allowance) price increases
- Training and company engagement with climate legislation
- Mitigation through carbon offsets
- Use of carbon offsets for compliance
- New offset project development
Helping You with CFS
- Novel Fuel Pathways
- Tier 1 and Tier 2 application processes
- Carbon intensity (CI) computation
- Energy Economy Rations (EERs)
- Fuel infrastructure pathways
- Credit clearance market participation
- Applications for Advance Credits
- Credit accounting and registration
- Regulatory Coordination
- CCA-CFS interactions
- Future market-sharing with California, Oregon, Quebec.
- Federal Inflation Reduction Act (IRA)